Sunday 10 November 2013

Masthead Design

All of the mastheads are merely the magazine name Indievisual in 2D font. This follows the conventions of current magazine mastheads (Vibe, Mixmag, Q), keeping my magazine looking current and therefore appealing to my target audience. Furthermore, the colour of the masthead can adapt to the colour scheme of each front cover (as is done with Vibe, Mixmag and, until recently, NME).

1 - This is the masthead design I have chosen to use for my magazine. The sans serif font is easily readable and follows the current conventions of a magazine masthead. The masthead is bold, therefore making the name easily readable.
2 - I like this font, however, I think the font is too thin to stand out as a masthead. I like the slightly skewed 'e', as this gives the font a slight uniqueness. Therefore, I will consider using this within my magazine.
3 - This masthead is quite similar to masthead 1, but the lettering isn't as smooth. Therefore it lacks the modern feel of masthead 1. It is important for my magazine to have a new, modern feel because I have a young target audience.
4 - I decided against this masthead as I feel that it looks quite similar to the font used for the brand 'L'oreal'. Also, I think the capitals put unusual emphasis on the wrong part of the name.
5 - This masthead has an art deco appearance which I think my target audience would not respond to.
6 - Again similar to masthead 1, this masthead is bold and would stand out at the top of the front cover. However, I feel the text is too large and slightly too rounded to convey the new, young appearance of the magazine.
7 - Out of the similar mastheads (2,4,7) I think that 7 would probably make the most effective masthead. However, I think 1 would still be a better, easily readable and adaptable masthead.

No comments:

Post a Comment