Monday 3 March 2014

Q1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



Below is a transcript of the audio response to this question:
One of the ways in which my magazine conforms to the conventions of real music magazines is its house style. In my research, I discovered that the colour red is particularly popular among pop/rock and indie magazines, along with the colours black and white. Therefore, I decided this colour would capture the genre the best and attract this fan base, which is my target audience.
My house style is clearly visible throughout the magazine, with cohesive and consistent use of colour and fonts. This is further supported by the masthead and magazine name ‘Indievisual’. For this, I used a bold sans serif font which creates a similar effect to that created by the masthead of NME. The masthead runs across the top of the cover, with the cover stars’ heads overlapping it slightly. It also follows the colour scheme, using the colours black and red to separate ‘indie’ and ‘visual’. The name quite clearly links to the genre. This compound name literally states the genre ‘indie’, and plays on the word the genre is derivative from (‘individual’). I decided to play on the word with ‘indievisual’. As music is an audio experience, you could say that music magazines are a ‘visual extension’ to music.
My cover includes an image of the band ‘Tigerilla’. The indie genre is dominated heavily by bands, therefore I decided that I would use a band as my cover star. Also, the genre is male dominated, with indie bands such as Snow Patrol, The Fray and Mumford & Sons being all male bands. For this reason, I decided to make the band ‘Tigerilla’ a band comprising of 3 males and 1 female. This represents the genre as a whole, as female artists are less common than male ones. Though Laura Mulvey’s concept of the male gaze applies to products targeted at a male audience, I have decided against sexualizing my female cover star. This is because the genre of my magazine tends not to sexualize its female artists, as the focus is generally placed on the music itself and presenting its artists as the ‘boy/girl next door’ type. At the top of the page, I have included a black banner which displays both the twitter name and website of the magazine. Having a banner on the front cover is one of the conventions of magazines, along with mentioning the website.
Other than my conventional sell lines, I have also included a ‘+’ section at the bottom right corner, listing several well-known indie artists. This attracts several different fan bases to pick up the magazine and is something that I have seen on many existing music magazine front covers. In the bottom left corner of the cover, there is a bar code and institutional information as this is a convention of all magazines if they want to get published.

On the contents page I instantly reinforce the magazine’s involvement with social media, as the icons are presented at the top of the left page. This is one of the biggest selling points of the magazine, as it indicates that the magazine is current and gives the readers an easy way to get involved. Magazines typically advertise the social networks they are on through the use of their icons.
I gave the contents page an organized, column style so that the reader would not be overwhelmed with information, as a lot of information is on this page. I used a variety of images to illustrate the different content in the magazine. I noticed most existing contents pages had pictures with backgrounds. Therefore, I tried to use images with less white in the background to avoid the page looking too white and boring the reader.
When ordering the pages, I thought about how music magazines were conventionally laid out and numbered the items accordingly. For example, I placed the reviews section towards the back of the magazine, as reviews are typically found towards the back of most magazines (regardless of genre).
As the contents page is the page that will most likely be viewed by more readers, I also placed a little picture of the current issue next to a subscription advert. This means that I am encouraging as many readers as possible to become a regular reader of the magazine, as the more people that subscribe will guarantee a higher readership. Another convention of a contents page is an editor’s note, therefore I felt it was important to include one to make my magazine look as professional as possible. I named myself the ‘Editor-in-Chief’ rather than just the ‘Editor’. I chose to do this because this is a term more specific to the industry, as there are often various editors (e.g. editor-in-chief and managing editor) whose roles differ slightly.

For the first double page spread, I used a large image of the band, which overlapped the first page very slightly into the second. For this I used the text wrapping tool to wrap the text around the image. I used the same font that I had used on both the front cover and contents page on the headline. This font is much bolder than the serif font used on the article text and this allows the headline to stand out a lot more. In the corner, I included “on tour: March 2014”. As the indie genre conventionally refers to a lot of gigs and festivals, informing the reader which artists and bands would be on tour (and when) would be of interest to the target audience.
The second double page spread contains a lot more images and another important convention of magazine articles, pull quotes. For these, I tried to use text from the article that would make the audience want to read why that quote was said. Again, I used a bold sans serif font, creating a cohesive house style throughout the magazine from front cover to double page spreads. Next to the pictures there are little descriptions of the images, mainly to differentiate between the band members. This is seen frequently in magazines, and the text is always smaller than the article. As magazines are always trying to find ways to be more interactive and incorporate technology into them, I also included a QR code. This links to YouTube for the teaser trailer for the band’s music video. QR codes are becoming an increasingly popular way for magazines to incorporate interactivity into a print publication.

On the third double page spread, I included a box featuring several pictures from the band’s Instagram feed. Yet again this incorporates social networking into the magazine; however this isn’t a conventional component of a double page spread. I added this feature to make the article more interesting and different. This also helps the audience to identify and connect with the band because seeing simple ‘snapshots’ make them appear more ‘normal’ and ‘just like everyone else’. This representation is incredibly important to the genre. At the end of the article, I created album artwork. This is cohesive with the music video screen grabs, the image on the contents page and the teaser music video, suggesting that the band’s marketing material is cohesive. At the end of the article is a line of text, telling the reader when the album is released. Often, bands or artists are featured in magazines when they are looking to promote something. Therefore the last line of text gives the article a more realistic purpose, as it suggests that featured band is current in the industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment